Hi,

On 2021-06-29 1:27 p.m., Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 04:33:50PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>> ssh -Y is similar to ssh -X but does some authentication - yuu don't have
>> to use xhost+ or similar.
>
> You don't use xhost with ssh -X, either.  At least, not explicitly.
> ssh takes care of that for you.
>
> In fact, on Debian, ssh -X and ssh -Y do exactly the same thing, due
> to changes that Debian made.  This is documented in the ssh(1) man page.
>
> If you've been using "xhost +" together with "ssh -X", you've been doing
> it wrong (and *dramatically* destroying all your network security) all
> along.

This is going pretty much side way now.
What I stated was pretty simple :
Unrelated to efficacy, ease of use or whatever other consideration.
Learning how to use the DISPLAY variable and learning how does xhost
work, is a good way to get understanding of the separation between
client and server, plus how does X11 authenticate connections.

I am the person who introduced using DISPLAY and setting up X client and
server the "old way". Why, simply that for someone who doesn't have any
knowledge about X and the way it deals with machine separated thru a
network, this will force the person some learning that will be helpful
later on.

Yes, using ssh -X work great but if you get some problem, you won't have
gotten any knowledge on how it really work "behind the scene".

By learning the whole way of how X11 work on network, this will teach
you that simply said, we could reduce ssh to :
Using port redirection to allow remote client to be seen as local
AND
Setting up the DISPLAY variable accordingly.

It's of not much use to start debate without reading fully the thread.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside