On Wed 11 Aug 2021 at 13:42:00 +0300, Reco wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 11:14:10AM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Wed 11 Aug 2021 at 08:00:44 +0200, Erwan David wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > > >

> > > No all zeroconf based scheme is limited to the local (L2 network). And
> > > printer on a separate network is the standard setup in offices.
> >
> > I thought you might have read cups-browsed.conf(5). Doesn't the
> > BrowsePoll directive provide a solution?
>
> Using BrowsePoll to overcome that problem assumes that you know what
> IP/hostname your printer(s) have.
> I.e. instead of relying on DNS-SD autodiscovery (which is limited to a
> single L2 network segment) one you're proposing to hardcode printers'
> IPs/hostnames into cups-browsed.conf.

I was actually pointing the user in the direction of something he might
not have been aware of, not proposing a definitive solution. You are
correct about hardcoding IPs/hostnames, but the same has to be done
with a client.conf.

> But this makes cups-browsed redundant, because one might as well use
> ServerName in client.conf instead and achieve the same result. And
> probably it will even work better as it will skip that per-minute poll.

You can have only a single ServerName but multiple BrowsePoll entries.

> Using Samba's printer sharing makes much more sense in a such setup.

The user now has three possible solutions.

--
Brian.