On Wed 11 Aug 2021 at 12:00:51 -0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2021-08-11, Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> When, eventually, all HP printers run driverless _and_ no no-driverless
> >> printer exist 'in the wild', yes.  Until then, I'd expect HPLIP to
> >> remain.  Debian is, after all, about choice.
> >
> > The condition you lay down in the first sentence is not a factor in
> > determining whether Debian packages HPLIP. HPLIP uses PPDs and drivers;
> > a future CUPS will not work with PPDs and drivers. The choice will be
> > to have a working printing system using driverless or a non-working
> > printing system.
> >

> Will I have to toss my trusty Brother HL-2030, brother? Fork Cups, I
> guess, and full speed ahead.

This is a PostScript printer and catered for in Debian by a free driver,
if I am not mistaken. You will be provided with a Printer Application to
use.

  https://openprinting.github.io/documentation/01-printer-application/

Users who are have non-free Brother drivers will have to wait on the
vendor to distribute a (presumably non-free) Printer Application.

Incidentally, CUPS is already forked at OpenPrinting. That is why we are
going in the direction we are :).

--
Brian.