On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 10:01:37PM +0200, Marco Möller wrote:
> Dear moderators, I would appreciate if you could interfere.
> This list recently is flooded with never ending arguing, and respect and
> politeness too often got lost.
>
> Same here as already for Michael Howards "Fwd: [OFFTOPIC] Plonk (wss: Meta:
> behavior on list)". See attachment below.
> Marco

There aren't any particular moderators here: as stated before this is an
unmoderated list.

If someone writes to you off-list specifically, it's very bad form to bring
copy it and specifically bring it back up on list, whoever seems to be at
fault.

Everybody can make mistakes, very occasionally people copy a private reply
back to a list in genuine error. You goof: but you generally only do it once
because people will call you out on it - especially if it's a sensitive
topic. [And yes, from personal experience, it doesn't feel nice once you
realise you've made a mistake - apologies don't always cut it.]

Moral of the story: look really carefully at how you're replying
and who you're replying to. If you're really not sure: stop, take a breath,
a sip of coffee - then reread and check twice more before sending.
[HINT: I nearly goofed just now before sending this: check that you're not
sending a reply to something on list to someone as a private email and
vice versa.]

It's another useful reason to not always write to the list and cc. to the
person you're replying to - it's too easy to make a mistake.

*Don't* copy back to the list because you're aggrieved:, ask the
community team - off list - if they'd care to take a look.
The address is commun...@debian.org.

The main Debian Code of Conduct and the mailing list general code of conduct
are at

https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

and

respectively.

Enrico Zini's community guidelines are old but good. They're
at https://people.debian.org/~enrico/dcg/

People: The threads over the last few days have not been constructive or
particularly edifying - I'm specifically _not_ going to call out anyone
on list here - see above for why -  but there could have been more mutual
respect shown.

As a member of the Community Team, I've asked my colleagues to have a look:
several people have overstepped the mark here in varying degrees, I think.
Maybe it will be instructive to come back to the posts of the last few days
in a week or a month, reread,  and see how the threads make us (all) look?

I was busy yesterday with testing installation media: hey, we got a release
out after just over two years worth of work. Debian turns 28 years old
tomorrow: there's Debconf 21 on line in just about ten days time: 24th August
onwards

That's good news and positive - can we go with a bit more of that spirit,
please?

All the best to a (sometimes not quite) community here on list, as ever,

Andy Cater

[For and on behalf of the Community Team - copied to commun...@debian.org
for the team's information].