On Mon 04 Oct 2021 at 21:16:06 (-0400), Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> On Monday 04 October 2021 07:55:25 pm David Wright wrote:

> > It would help people trying to follow what you are doing just to confirm at
> > each stage which version you're now running.
> > I /think/ you've got as far as stretch.
>
> Yes,  I wanted to get the issues that I was seeing resolved before I went
> ahead and proceeded with the rest of the upgrades.  At this point I've copied
> things from the laptop (which got very flaky on me) back to the workstation
> and I am doing my mail there,  like I used to.  The font is too damn small,
> though.
>
> > So the main things to confirm as working are the specific points mentioned
> > in the respective Release Notes. In stretch that would
> > be, for example, the 4.9 kernel is finding everything,
>
> About the only issue that I've noticed after this stuff all getting fixed is
> that there's something up with the sound.  Given the details of what advice I
> saw someone else getting,  I have a few things to look at.  The virtualbox OS
> complained about it too.  :-)

I can't see the point unless you depend on, say, a screen reader to be
able to move forward at all. After all, how long are you intending to
run stretch for?

> > that X may be running as a user (rather than root) on the console it's
> > started from,
>
> I'm not sure I see the concern here.

An issue that caught some people out was finding the X server log,
as it had to move out of /var/log/ (users don't have permission),
and into a "hidden" directory, ~/.local/share/xorg/. Running
root-owned applications is different, and you can get permissions
problems with opening devices. Unusual though.

> > and that your ethernet or wireless connectivity is still good. (Changes
> > were made to the kernel device naming.)
>
> Ethernet is working fine here,  as evidenced by the fact that I'm moving lots
> of data back and forth (32GB for this virtualbox stuff ferinstance) and that
> I'm doing my mail on this system now.  If there had been any issues with that
> I sure would've been jumping all over it,  as I tend to use networking rather
> heavily.  And there is no wireless on this machine.
>
> > Those are just a few I recall, but note they all relate to the OS rather
> > than details in configuring third-party applications.
> > Once that's done, time to read the next set of Release Notes. Note that
> > even things like the best tool (apt-get or aptitude) to
> > upgrade with may vary from release to release which, remember, are normally
> > separated by a couple of years of tool development.
>
> I saw a couple of references that stated that aptitude had been recommeded
> earlier but that apt was now a better choice.

Yes, I think apt is recommended for an interactive upgrade.

> So we'll see how it goes from here.  My upgrade path for this step went like
> this:
>
> apt-get autoremove
> edit the sources.list file replacing jessie with stretch
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> And then reboot,  and see how well things work.  Or maybe reboot a couple of
> times...

Yes, apt-get was recommended for upgrading to stretch. Note however
that if you perform your next upgrades with apt, as recommended,
some of the command names (like dist-upgrade) will differ in apt.

> We'll see how it goes.

Good luck.

Cheers,
David.