On 10/16/21 2:20 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
R. Ramesh wrote:
from deb-multimedia to make things work. I have kept it since. I have no
desire to install older packages just because it is straight from debian vs.
deb-multimedia. I expect those two repositories to be already aware of
situation like mine and therefore handle these without my preferences.d
entries.  So, I am perfectly ok to remove my preferences.d/multimedia
Here is the part that may have escaped you:

deb-multimedia is not a Debian project, and does not coordinate
with Debian. It can break your system. It did break your system.

(It is relatively safe to use if and only if you know what you
are doing with pinning. Copying from someone on the Internet
without understanding does not qualify.)
Understood. Please also understand that we are users and not experts. I understand unix/linux and general SW principles. I will use debian as I trust this more than any other distribution. That does not mean I can learn everything about it. I will have no choice but to go with help from communities. I understand the cost.

I would recommend finding all the packages on your system with a
dmo source, removing them, removing the dmo apt repository,
fixing your system, and then... carefully consider whether you
want to re-add the dmo apt repository at all.
This is not acceptable to me. I will live broken system than a useless system. I need what I have and I cannot simply delete them for the sake making something pristine. Please understand we are users. No point in having a system that does nothing. Apart from mythtv, I use browser. So, if I take out dmo then I might as well install Win10.

Don't think I hate deb-multimedia. I have that repo enabled...
on one system. Not on a system that I depend on functioning all
the time.

-dsr-
Thanks for your comments. I understand where you come from. I have no hard feelings when someone tells me I am dumb. That is why I used debian-user. If I do not get any help, I will find a way as I have done that many times.  In fact, I was going to wipe my system and reinstall from scratch and add dmo as that is easier.

I was a linux user in 1991 and remained one. I am not going to be afraid to find issues and resolve them. I just want to try to get expert opinion first because I think that is the best approach.

Regards
Ramesh