On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:44:25 -0500
David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> > root@jhegaala:~#
>
> I think you need su --whitelist-environment=DISPLAY,XAUTHORITY -

Thank you, also to Reco.

I did:

$ alias su="su --whitelist-environment=DISPLAY,XAUTHORITY"

That works. So I will add that to my other aliases in ~/.bashrc and in
/etc/skel/.bashrc.

I tried editing /etc/security/pam_env.conf, as to...@tuxteam.de
suggested earlier, but that caused problems.

DISPLAY         DEFAULT=${REMOTEHOST}:0.0 OVERRIDE=${DISPLAY}
XAUTHORITY      DEFAULT="/home/charles/.Xauthority" OVERRIDE=${XAUTHORITY}

The DISPLAY line appears to work; that XUTHORITY line does not. It
caused /home/charles/.Xauthority to be owned by root, which in turn
caused problems when SSHing in as charles.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/