Thank you everyone that helped me with this issue.

I learned a great deal.

Namely, for my particular use case, SMR drives are sub-optimal.

It is VERY difficult to even find out if drives are SMR or CMR, because

apparently the manufacturers try to put it all out the door. As mentioned

by Mr. Ritter, the information of writing technology is not disclosed easily,

and in some cases, bordering on deceptive.

I will replace this drive since I have little faith in it, as it was originally purposed,

important backup. I will just use it as a redundant backup or just a short term/temporary

storage drive - and monitor it.