On 2022-03-09 18:15 UTC+0100, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> Here's something about the X ecosystem that I don't understand anymore.
> I've read the statement
> that "X isn't developed anymore, only XFree86". In other words, X source
> was re-based to Xfree86
> a long time ago. So it must be that in the XFree86-based X Windows, only
> the X server is under active
> development, nothing more than that. Is that accurate?
That statement is wrong, you are confusing some things. XFree86 was the
important free implementation of the X11 stack for many years. XFree86
as a whole software stack was forked by some of it's developers under
the umbrella of X.org, when they became unhappy with the project leader.

X.org has the only relevant X11 implementation today (XFree86 does not
exist anymore), but it's development seems to have slowed down very much
in the last years, probably in favour of Wayland. Recently the project
showed some activity again, as far as I have heard.

My personal opinion: X11 may have some design flaws, but I can live with
them very well, I especially like the network transparency of it, which
Wayland does not offer, AFAIK. I would prefer to see the development
resources invested into X11, instead of Wayland.

Regards,
Christian

--
http://www.cb-fraggle.de