On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:06:35 -0700
David Christensen <dpchr...@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> When I had several Debian machines in the past, I used approx(8) [2].
> It was good software -- KISS, properly documented, easy to set up,
> worked efficiently, and never failed.
>

> But approx(8) had some operational features that apt-cacher-ng(8) [3]
> seems to improve upon:
>
> 1.  Each host needed its apt(8) [1] configuration to point at the
> approx(8) server.

Apt-cacher-ng (hereafter acng) also requires a change in client apt
configurations. Put one line into apt.conf or a one-liner in
apt.conf.d. I use the latter, 02proxy:

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://aptcacherdeb.localdomain:3142";;

There are further wrinkles for laptops and other traveling computers,
and for https only repos, which I will leave as an exercise for the
student.

> 3.  I seem to recall that I was able to use approx(8) with non-Debian
> repositories via creative configuration.

acng does support some non-deb repos. For more details, see
/etc/apt-cacher-ng/acng.conf.

I think I'll stay with acng.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?