On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 12:17:27PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 17:48:06 +0000
> "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amaca...@einval.com> wrote:
>
> > Mixing .deb packages from multiple Debian/Debian-derived
> > distributions is normally a very bad idea -
> > https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
>
> In general I agree with this. However, this is what the signal folks
> tell Debian users to do. So if they answer Steve at all, that is likely
> what they will tell him to do.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for stepping in with concrete help - it's good that we had someone
else running Signal to help. I think the point I wanted to make is that
we _can't_ be expected to help out on all third party .debs, especially
when that .deb is compiled against an obsolescent version of Ubuntu.
Likewise "I'm running Linux Mint / TDE and I can't find support in their
channel - please help"

A large chunk of the mails here are sorting out:

"I don't know how to edit an /etc/apt/sources.list" or
"I added some app from some site and it all broke" or
"I mixed Ubuntu and Debian and now I don't know what I have"

Those are almost as popular as the favourite:

"I did something, then I did something else then X happened so I did Y
and now it's not working but I've no idea how I got here"

which is a well known thread starter here.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater