On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:46:39 +0000
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amaca...@einval.com> wrote:

> Thanks for stepping in with concrete help - it's good that we had
> someone else running Signal to help.

I was in a position to help, so I did. I have not so far heard back
from Steve whether he has found a solution.

> I think the point I wanted to make is that we _can't_ be expected to
> help out on all third party .debs, especially when that .deb is
> compiled against an obsolescent version of Ubuntu. Likewise "I'm
> running Linux Mint / TDE and I can't find support in their channel -
> please help"

I agree, people should not expect help on 3rd party applications,
frankendebians, or other situations that run against the standard
advice around here. I think you did a good job of explaining this to
Steve.

Once in a while, someone asks for help in such a situation, and someone
else is in a position to give it. But that's the exception. So I have
no problem with someone asking. I do take exception to some twatwaffle
getting irate because no-one answered his badly framed and off-topic
query.

Besides, we're all volunteers here, something some people can't seem to
get wedged between their ears.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com