First, please do not top post.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 09:00:00AM -0400, Dave Parker wrote:
> Thanks for the advice.  Just to clarify, this is an enterprise SMTP server
> for a university, and we have used Sendmail for at least 25 years now.  I
> have deployed and configured Sendmail on probably hundreds of servers over
> the years, but most of them are on internal networks and relay mail
> through this SMTP server.  This is a high traffic SMTP server and its
> uptime is critical, so I would prefer to stay with Sendmail because it has
> always been rock solid in the past.

Understood. And I apologize. I assumed because of the old version of your
existing installation a less actively maintained situation and made a snap
judgement about your experience.
I also never said sendmail is not a  solid MTA. I stated it is extremely
difficult to maintain.
Also other MTA are well suited for high traffic servers. Exim is used
by ISPs with extremely high traffic.

> The issue here is that Sendmail with SASL auth doesn't seem to work the
> same way in Bullseye as it did in Wheezy, which is probably to be expected,
> given the large gap between versions.  I'm just trying to track down
> anything I may have missed in my new Bullseye configuration, since the
> exact same config works fine in Wheezy.

Well, in my previous post I might hinted at your issue.

Please check if courier-authdaemon or dovecot-core is installed.
Both provide an sasl authdaemon.
I do not know anything about your old installation so you have to
figure out, how and where the unix socket of the daemon is located.
If you use a chroot environment you must make sure the socket is accessible
to sendmail.

Cheers,

-H

[...]