On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:37 AM Henning Follmann <hfollm...@itcfollmann.com>
wrote:

> First, please do not top post.
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 09:00:00AM -0400, Dave Parker wrote:
> > Thanks for the advice.  Just to clarify, this is an enterprise SMTP
> server
> > for a university, and we have used Sendmail for at least 25 years now.  I
> > have deployed and configured Sendmail on probably hundreds of servers
> over
> > the years, but most of them are on internal networks and relay mail
> > through this SMTP server.  This is a high traffic SMTP server and its
> > uptime is critical, so I would prefer to stay with Sendmail because it
> has
> > always been rock solid in the past.
>
> Understood. And I apologize. I assumed because of the old version of your
> existing installation a less actively maintained situation and made a snap
> judgement about your experience.
> I also never said sendmail is not a  solid MTA. I stated it is extremely
> difficult to maintain.
> Also other MTA are well suited for high traffic servers. Exim is used
> by ISPs with extremely high traffic.
>

> > The issue here is that Sendmail with SASL auth doesn't seem to work the
> > same way in Bullseye as it did in Wheezy, which is probably to be
> expected,
> > given the large gap between versions.  I'm just trying to track down
> > anything I may have missed in my new Bullseye configuration, since the
> > exact same config works fine in Wheezy.
> >

> Well, in my previous post I might hinted at your issue.
>
> Please check if courier-authdaemon or dovecot-core is installed.
> Both provide an sasl authdaemon.
> I do not know anything about your old installation so you have to
> figure out, how and where the unix socket of the daemon is located.
> If you use a chroot environment you must make sure the socket is accessible
> to sendmail.

My apologies for the top post.  We use Google for our institutional email,
and the Gmail interface defaults to that when I reply to a message.

Looking at the existing Wheezy server which works correctly, I do not see
anything providing an auth daemon besides saslauthd:

# dpkg-query -W | egrep 'sendmail|sasl|courier|dovecot'
libsasl2-2:amd64 2.1.25.dfsg1-6+deb7u1
libsasl2-modules:amd64 2.1.25.dfsg1-6+deb7u1
sasl2-bin 2.1.25.dfsg1-6+deb7u1
sendmail 8.14.4-4
sendmail-base 8.14.4-4
sendmail-bin 8.14.4-4
sendmail-cf 8.14.4-4

So I guess my question is, do I need one now on the Bullseye server, if
saslauthd always worked for this before?

Thanks,
Dave

--
Dave Parker '11