On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 02:32:16PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:15:41AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
There are automated processes that stop package migration at
certain severity levels, but they can't guess that something that
was filed at a low level really should have been higher.

I think in this case the package was already present in testing and
stable-proposed-updates before the bug was found. It was reported as
"grave" and bounced between that and "serious".

No, it wasn't; as far as I can tell, the bug didn't become "grave" until today. (It looks like someone tried to set it to grave in August but didn't do so properly.) It didn't become "serious" until Sep 6 (after it was already processed into bullseye updates).

Also I am not sure if there are the same processes around this for
packages going in to stable-proposed-updates. The migrations you
speak of are from unstable to testing, and also with "RC" bugs in
testing blocking a full release. But stable updates go straight to
stable-proposed-updates and I don't know if anyone is watching bugs
specific to that when cutting a point release.

Yes, release managers would look at a grave bug before issuing a release.

Anyway what I am saying is, I'm not sure there is any level of
severity setting that would have made a difference in this case,

Yes, it likely would have.