On 9/12/2022 11:36 AM, Tim Woodall wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2022, David Wright wrote:
>

> > AFAICT it had two months in testing without this problem being
> > hit and reported.
> >

> Unfortunately, g-x-h is probably mostly used on stable or oldstable with
> guests running testing.
>
> I'm not sure if it's possible to run a xen hypervisor in a domu - that
> would be an interesting way to run testing.
>
> Tim.

I think that xen hypervisor running in a domu is called nested virtualization.
The Xen project defines support for this as follows [1]:

### x86/Nested PV
This means running a Xen hypervisor inside an HVM domain on a Xen system,
with support for PV L2 guests only
(i.e., hardware virtualization extensions not provided
to the guest).

    Status, x86 Xen HVM: Tech Preview

This works, but has performance limitations
because the L1 dom0 can only access emulated L1 devices.

Xen may also run inside other hypervisors (KVM, Hyper-V, VMWare),
but nobody has reported on performance.

### x86/Nested HVM

This means providing hardware virtulization support to guest VMs
allowing, for instance, a nested Xen to support both PV and HVM guests.
It also implies support for other hypervisors,
 739 such as KVM, Hyper-V, Bromium, and so on as guests.

    Status, x86 HVM: Experimental

[1] http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=blob_plain;f=SUPPORT.md;hb=HEAD