Thanks David, the server runs 9.2 and clients 9.1 so hopefully it will work ok.

Another reason I kept changing sources.list in the client was in the aftermath of my recent attempts against apt-cacher.

In apt-cacher you change every line to point to apt-cacher:3142.
At least that's what I have in the legacy config I've inherited.
I'm assuming it worked at some point in the past.