On Sun 25 Sep 2022 at 17:01:23 (+0200), Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
> I am trying to make a following setup on Debian bullseye:
>
> * tty1 is used to display kernel messages only
> * tty[2-5] are allocated for login
>
> I have modified /etc/default/console-setup so that it reads:
>
> ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[2-5]"
>
> and rebooted. What I observe is that tty1 displays kernel messages during the
> boot (OK) but also ends with an invitation for login on tty1 (WRONG).
>
> How can I force that tty1 is not used for login?

I think you still need to run:

# dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

to get that variable enacted. Then check that the file
/etc/console-setup/cached_setup_keyboard.sh, which AIUI
is what does the work, has been modified.

That's similar for a lot of configuration parameters
in /etc/default/.

Cheers,
David.