Da: Andy Smith <a...@strugglers.net>
Date: ven 25 nov 2022, 01:28
Subject: Re: just saying
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

Hello,

On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 09:03:00PM +0000, mick.crane wrote:
> I love open source, more than you might think, but I have a niggling
feeling
> it's been infiltrated to make user control difficult.
> If I was a spook it's what I'd do.
> Please prove me wrong.

Conspiracy theories aren't falsifiable so there is no way to prove you
wrong. We can come up with rational arguments as to why any such
conspiracy is unlikely, but if you want to believe it you'll find a way.

I think the most obvious counter-argument is that it would be a waste of
effort and human assets to put exploits in open source software where
they stand a good chance of being found, while there is so much closed
source software (firmware, drivers, agents, …) and similar targets that
can be used instead. If you have a developer (or a whole corporation) in
your pocket, why do you want to burn them by having them put something
malicious in an open source project?

Frankly, this whole "the software is designed to take away my control
and must be made that way by the concerted effort of dark forces!" thing
sounds lke a thinly-veiled reference to one of Gene's favourite rants.

Cheers,
Andy