On 11/28/22 11:04, B.M. wrote:
Hi,

I'm going to buy a Dell Precision 3570 laptop in the next couple of weeks.
Since it's a Build Your Own device, I can order it with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS pre-
installed instead of paying for an never used Win 11 :-)

Since all our other computers are happily running Debian, I'd like to replace
this Ubuntu by Debian Testing (later Bookworm). I've already decided to run it
on a single btrfs partition and learn something about subvolumes... I assume
the machine should work well - but who knows? How would you proceed?

a) leave it running Ubuntu forever
b) replace Ubuntu by Debian, fiddling around issues if there are any later
c) resize the partition, install Debian side-by-side, check than if anything
works as expected
d) analyze the installed system (how?) to find out any special configs etc.
before replacing Ubuntu by Debian
e) other...

Hi,

it seems that the laptop has 2 Type A USB ports so if I was you, I would put two flash drives in them - one with Debian installer and one empty. In this way you can install Debian on second flash drive. Once Debian is installed on second flash drive, you'll be able to check whether all controllers work properly on Debian. If anything doesn't work properly you can always boot Ubuntu from the SSD and check there what configuration is. When everything is configured on Debian and you are sure you can repeat installation and configuration, you can run Debian installer again and install Debian on the internal SSD.

Kind regards
Georgi