On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 11:00, Andrew Wood <andrewjamesw...@ymail.com> wrote:
> On 29/11/2022 20:48, David wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 01:36, Andrew Wood <andrewjamesw...@ymail.com> wrote:

> > Disclaimer: I have never done this with RAID, so using a GRUB
> > device looking like (md/x) is unknown territory for me.
> >
> >> ls (md/1)/boot shows the kernels and initrd images
> > Ok, based on that, if you still need help to boot the machine,
> > then you could try:
> >
> >    set prefix=(md/1)/boot/grub
> >    insmod normal
> >    normal
> > # now see normal grub> prompt
> > # maybe tab completion works now
> > # maybe do 'set root=(md/1)' or some other value revealed by 'ls'
> > # but I dont think 'set root' is useful at this time, maybe later
> >    boot
> >
> > If that doesn't get you into normal grub, you could try Tim's
> > approach:
> >
> >    set root=(md/1)
> > # use 'ls /boot' to discover ...filenames under /boot (under that root)
> >    linux  /boot/vmlinuz-...  root=whatever usually is here, not grub's
> > 'root'
> >    initrd  /boot/initrd.img-...
> >    boot
>
> Thanks David &Tim
>
> Unfortunately insmod normal is still giving file not found
>
> ls (md/1)/boot/grub/i386-pc shows its not there.
>
> When I try to run linux /boot/vmlinuz...
>
> and initd /boot/initrd.img....
>
> it says Unknown command 'linux' and Unknown command 'initrd'

Yes, sorry. My memory was unreliable, that was bad advice.

The 'linux' and 'initrd' and other commands will not be available
until GRUB is running in normal mode, which will require
'insmod normal' and 'normal' commands to succeed.

> > Also, before you try any of that, it would be interesting if you
> > would tell us how GRUB responds if you try:
> >    grub rescue> ls (md/0)/boot
>
> "erorr: unknown filesystem"
>
> pretty sure that is the swap space.

Yes, ok. That was a stupid question.
As I mentioned at the top, I have no experience of doing
this with RAID. I was thoughtlessly and incorrectly thinking that md/0
and md/1 might refer to the individual drives in the RAID, rather
than the different partitions.

I don't think I can be of any further help. Perhaps you can try to
boot without RAID, or from an external filesystem.