On Tue 29 Nov 2022 at 14:36:16 (+0000), Andrew Wood wrote:
> On 28/11/2022 23:52, David wrote:
> >
> > Can you confirm that you are entering commands at the prompt that looks
> > like:
> >
> >    grub rescue>
> >
> > That identifies the GRUB rescue shell, which is different to the normal
> > GRUB shell.

I'm assuming that's true, though you haven't confirmed it.

> > The first command that I would use is a bare 'set' with no arguments.
> >
> >    grub rescue> set
> >
> > which will show GRUB's initial configuration that it uses when it first
> > fails to read the disk. Can you show us that output?
> >

> boot=(hd0,msdos2)
>
> cmdpath=(hd0)
>
> prefix=(hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub

Have you tried setting prefix to the other disk, hd1,
(or did you not install Grub on both?).

> root=mduuid/2c411ef962.......
>

> Tab autocompletion doesnt seem to work
>
>  ls gives (hd0) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1) (hd1) (hd1,msdos2)
> (hd1,msdos1) (md/1) (md/0)
>

> ls (hd0,msdos2)/boot gives file not found but ls (md/1)/boot shows the
> kernels and initrd images

Is that all it lists? What about grub? (the directory).
If that /is/ there, what's listed in it? Is it what
you expect (which seems to be i386-pc).

On Tue 29 Nov 2022 at 23:59:34 (+0000), Andrew Wood wrote:

> Unfortunately insmod normal is still giving file not found
>
> ls (md/1)/boot/grub/i386-pc shows its not there.

Sorry, but what does it show? Does it show a lot of other
files, but not normal.mod? Or is it empty? Or is it the
i386-pc directory itself that's not there?

Remember, you're having to search around in the absence of
completion, but out here, we can't see anything without
it's being posted.

If you fail to find normal.mod anywhere, then I would boot
the system from a grub-rescue stick. The debian package is
called grub-rescue-pc. Copy its .iso to a stick, then boot
the stick to its Grub menu, press c (which gives you the
/full/ Grub command set with completion), confirm the
location of your kernel and initrd, then ESC out, and press
e on the GNU/Linux entry (to edit grub.cfg's menuentry).

Edit your desired values into the stanza that reads:

  # For booting GNU/Linux
  menuentry "GNU/Linux" --id gnulinux {
          set root=(hd0,msdos1)
          linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
          initrd /initrd.img
}

and press F10 or Ctrl-X to boot the system using the modified
menu. Then reinstall grub (the package), generate a new grub.cfg,
and then install Grub into the MBR on both disks.

Cheers,
David.