On 2023-02-17 at 13:21, debian-u...@howorth.org.uk wrote:

> Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:
>
>> This sounds like a bug in procps that should be reported, if it
>> hasn't already.
>
> It might be a bug if it disagreed with its documentation. But do the
> docs say anything about this feature? What they do say is that you
> should be able to use comma-separated field decriptions instead of
> space-separated I think. Is that true for the new version?

I can't speak to the new version, as I'm still running 3.3.17-7.1 on my
machine - but I can at least note that the man page from that older
version also explicitly says "a blank-separated or comma-separated list"
in the description for the '-o' option, but the given command line (with
a pipe for a separator) still works. (This may reflect only the same
thing that you said, above.)

It's entirely possible that this was an intentional change, to bring
things in line with the documentation, and/or even one required in order
to be in line with some appropriate specification.

It might be interesting to dig up the actual commit message from the
upstream development commit that made this change, and possibly also any
here's-what's-changed-in-the-new-version documentation (whether in
Debian or upstream), to see whether there's anything that sheds light on
whether this was intentional and if so what the reason was.

The answer might, at least, inform the approach to be taken in arguing
for the restoration of this functionality in a potential future version.

--
   The Wanderer