On 2023-02-17 at 15:21, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 01:49:59PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> I can't speak to the new version, as I'm still running 3.3.17-7.1 on my
>> machine - but I can at least note that the man page from that older
>> version also explicitly says "a blank-separated or comma-separated list"
>> in the description for the '-o' option, but the given command line (with
>> a pipe for a separator) still works. (This may reflect only the same
>> thing that you said, above.)
>>
>> It's entirely possible that this was an intentional change, to bring
>> things in line with the documentation, and/or even one required in order
>> to be in line with some appropriate specification.
>
> Hmm... fair point.  POSIX says:
>
>        The application shall ensure that the format specification is a list of
>        names  presented  as  a  single argument, <blank> or <comma>-separated.
>
> So the behavior of ps in bullseye is an extension of the POSIX requirement,
> and apparently only applies to the "AIX format specifiers", which are yet
> another extension.

FWIW, at least in the 3.3.17-7.1 version I have, the man page claims
that ps supports the POSIXLY_CORRECT environment variable. This type of
more-strict POSIX compliance, even when it means being less capable,
strikes me as the sort of thing that should probably be gated behind a
check for that flag.

> Nevertheless, this change definitely feels like a regression.  Scripts
> that are relying on the bullseye behavior, with full output formatting
> capability, will no longer work in bookworm.
>
> I'm not using any such scripts, so I don't have anything to lose here,
> but the OP might seriously want to get a bug report in, at least to
> learn whether this is an intended regression, or an accidental one.

Agreed,

--
   The Wanderer