On Sat 18 Feb 2023 at 09:06:11 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 18:55:03 +0700
> Max Nikulin <maniku...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Due to the following message I am confused if it should work for
> > Debian:
> >
> > Brian to debian-user. Re: problem with loading installer (hard disk
> > method) Thu, 29 Dec 2022 17:42:59 +0000.
> > https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/?m=29122022172846.4fc3cfd29...@desktop.copernicus.org.uk
> >
> > > GRUB's loopback facility will not work with installer images.
> > > They do not contain iso-scan.
> > >
> > >   https://bugs.debian.org/618000
>
> Date: 2011.
>
> > >   https://bugs.debian.org/724931
>
> Date 2013, last entry dated 2020.
>
> Neither one is marked as resolved.
>
> loopback.mod (not .ko) is available in grub for both Bullseye and
> Bookworm.
>
> root@cdtest:~# find /boot/ -iname loop*
> /boot/grub/i386-pc/loopback.mod
> root@cdtest:~#

Irrelevant when it comes to what the kernel wants to do.

> I can't find iso-scan anywhere except as a part of the package
> dracut-live, so I'm not sure it's relevant here. I conjecture that
> telling the kernel where to find the iso image bypasses any need for
> iso-scan. (See the first email in #724931.)

loop.ko is a kernel module. It is needed to mount an
installer ISO to access its contents. But it is not
present in the installer's initrd. lsinitramfs reveals
that fact. The first email at #724931 has it right:

  > The module 'loop.ko' is not shipped with the Debian
  > testing netinstall ISO. It should reside in
  > /lib/modules/3.10-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/block/.
  > Because it is missing, it is impossible to mount ISO
  > images during the  install and thus preventing
  > installation from ISO, if the module is not manually
  > imported.

As for iso-scan:

 https://packages.debian.org/sid/iso-scan

Joey Hess is a well-respected ex-Debian developer who
was very influential in installer development. He says
at https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2013/09/msg00097.html

--
Brian.