Am 22.02.2023 um 16:30 schrieb Nicolas George:
> Is there something I have missed?

I cannot say yes or no. But, of the top of my head, i know, that gdisk
does support a strange thing called hybrid between MBR and GPT, where a
clean GPT formatted drive contains (instead of a protective MBR) an MBR
with pointers to up to four partitons, in order to make a system
bootable without UEFI. I understand, that your use case is somewhat
different. But maybe you can use the idea anyway. The hybrid formatting
has some restrictions, like you should not have standard MBR tools mess
this configuration up (not use them at all) and unfortunately that
applies to standard GPT tools as well, but the dual bootability can
solve some problems.

The only issue, i have had a look at, was the problem to have a raid,
that is bootable no matter which one of the drives initially fails, a
problem, that can be solved by having at least 2 grub installs (on the
two mirrors).

Certainly, there is a solution to your problem, even if might not
exactly fulfill your premises.