On 2/23/23 11:05, Tim Woodall wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2023, Nicolas George wrote:
Is there a solution to have a whole-disk RAID (software, mdadm) that is
also partitioned in GPT and bootable in UEFI?

I've wanted this ...

I think only hardware raid where the bios thinks it's a single disk ...

My wants and thinking are the same. I can and do FOSS RAID for data disks, but I am baffled for boot disks.

I did desktop motherboard simple hardware RAID years ago (0, 1, 10, JBOD; Intel Matrix Storage Technology?). It was configured via BIOS Setup. I seem to recall that both Windows and Linux saw the RAID as a single SATA HDD. Under Windows, you could download an Intel driver and controller app to configure and/or monitor the RAID. I do not recall a driver and app for Linux.

I believe my newer motherboards/ computers also include simple hardware RAID. The current Intel solution is Rapid Storage Technology. I believe this is enabled on my Dells via UEFI Setup -> Settings -> System Configuration -> SATA Operation -> "RAID On", but I have not attempted to build a RAID. (Do I need the Windows driver and app?) I have discovered that Linux cannot see the disks unless the setting is changed to "AHCI" (?), and am curious why.

I have some 2-port SATA HBA's and believe they also support simple hardware RAID. I assume they have a BIOS extension/ POST hotkey configuration utility, with drivers and apps for Windows. I have used them in BIOS computers back in the day and in UEFI computers with backwards compatibility, but I do not know if they would work in the newest UEFI-only computers; especially with Secure Boot.

Hardware is again becoming a walled garden more so every day; especially with Windows 11, TPM 2, and whatever Apple does. I look forward to open source hardware, such as RISC-V.

David