On 25/02/2023 00:55, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
On Wednesday 22 February 2023 09:24:17 pm Max Nikulin wrote:
On 19/02/2023 01:01, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
So this got me curious,  and I tried it out.  In the terminal that's
running inside of the virtualbox instance where I'm doing emails,  it
comes back with:

:0

Have you tried to emulate multiple monitors in virtualbox?

I'm not sure what I need to do with the computer to make this happen.

VirtualBox can emulate multiple monitors, they may be represented as several windows on the same physical device. It is convenient to test behavior of applications in the configuration with multiple monitors. There is an option in VM configuration UI.

But in a terminal which is running on the host Debian system,  it comes back
with:

:0.0

I wonder why the difference?

My guess is that it may depend on graphics adapter and its driver.

It's an older machine with a VGA output being used.  I assume that I'll
need to get some kind of a card with an HDMI output and a cable to make
that happen.  No idea what the driver is,  probably nothing special.

It does not matter if it is special or not. My guess (that may be wrong) that even noveau vs. nvidia may behave differently. I have never gone deeper, since I do not remember any problem with setting DISPLAY=:0 when it was necessary. Driver in use should appear in Xorg.0.log, e.g.

(II) modeset(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: i965

I have heard that a display may have several screens (it is not the same as
multiple monitors that show
different regions of the same display and screen). I have never tried such
configuration.

Are you referring to multiple desktops?  I have that going,  for sure.

My impression is that multiple screens of a display is not the same as virtual desktops (and not the same as multiple monitors). I am not familiar with X11 protocol so closely. Frankly speaking, I has a hope that somebody will post a proper link. My curiosity is not strong enough yet to filter search engine results myself.