On 27/3/23 19:48, Richmond wrote:

So how is the preference determined? It seems to be determined by the
DNS, but why or how do I tell for example with host -v?

When you as a DNS about a hostname it can return an A record and/or an AAAA record.

The A record is IPv4 and the AAAA record is IPv6

When you get both it is then up to your application to choose IPv4 or IPv6 for the connection.

If either fails the application will then try the other before finally failing.

You need a DNS that can return A and AAAA records, and an application that can use either.

I have noticed in my debian LAN that utilities such as ssh prefer IPv6 and if that is not possible will use IPv4

--
Jeremy
(Lists)