On Mon 27 Mar 2023 at 07:49:13 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 01:20:32PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > Thanks.  Interesting that the Wiki recommends using apt-get, while the
> > > Bullseye release notes recommend apt.
> >
> > Probably because "apt" is newer and the wiki hasn't been updated yet.
> > It seems that they are very similar. The only difference I could see
> > is that apt adds coloring.
>
> >From an end user's point of view, the three main differences between
> "apt-get" and "apt" are:

A fourth is that apt-get is recommended for scripting as its CLI
is stable, whereas apt's may well change.

> For actually configuring apt/apt-get, the options are somewhat hard to
> find.

Most, but not all, are in /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.
Those ANSI colours haven't yet made it in, for example.

> The configuration element for --with-new-pkgs is identified in apt-get(8)
> at the end of the description of --with-new-pkgs.  This element does not
> appear AT ALL in apt.conf(5).

AIUI you're expected to add a file, say, 90-my-opts into apt.conf.d/
with   Upgrade-Allow-New "true";   in it.

On Sun 26 Mar 2023 at 14:50:45 (+0200), Jesper Dybdal wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the responses.  I'm still in doubt as to what to do.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention yesterday, but which I now think may be
> correlated with this problem, is that yesterday's upgrade mysteriously
> removed roundcube.  I have no idea why, and I want it back, but that
> is not particularly urgent.  I wonder if roundcube could have some
> dependencies that influence the other problem.
[ … ]
> I'm leaning towards removing those packages.  And when I lose
> mailutils, then I can reinstall it when I need it.
> But perhaps I will try to install the lost roundcube again first, and
> see if it changes the state.
>
> Does that sound sensible?

The downside is the more high-level packages you have installed,
the more dependencies, and a more difficult path to resolution.

On Mon 27 Mar 2023 at 11:27:31 (+0200), Jesper Dybdal wrote:
> On 2023-03-27 10:59, davidson wrote:
> > It baffles me that the number of packages suggested for autoremoval is
> > different, between guile-2.2-libs and w3m.
> Me too.

On my system, w3m is only Recommended for installation, so it's
effectively top-level. It has few dependencies, and those it has
are the sort used by many packages. So removing w3m has liitle
effect on the rest of the system:

  $ apt-get -s purge w3m
  [ … ]
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    w3m*
  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Purg w3m [0.5.3+git20210102-6]
  $

OTOH, if you remove guile-2.2-libs, you must also lose mailutils and
libmailutils7, which depend on it. Having removed them, apt finds
that there were other packages only installed to satisfy mailutils,
so these are no longer necessary either:

  $ aptitude why gsasl-common
  i   emacs-gtk        Depends    emacs-bin-common (= 1:27.1+1-3.1+deb11u2)
  i A emacs-bin-common Recommends mailutils
  i A mailutils        Depends    libgsasl7 (>= 1.1)
  i A libgsasl7        Depends    gsasl-common (= 1.10.0-4+deb11u1)
  $ aptitude why libntlm0
  i   emacs-gtk        Depends    emacs-bin-common (= 1:27.1+1-3.1+deb11u2)
  i A emacs-bin-common Recommends mailutils
  i A mailutils        Depends    libgsasl7 (>= 1.1)
  i A libgsasl7        Depends    libntlm0 (>= 1.2)
  $

So it can get rid of the lot:

  $ apt-get -s purge guile-2.2-libs
  [ … ]
required:
    gsasl-common libgsasl7 libntlm0 mailutils-common
  Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    guile-2.2-libs* libmailutils7* mailutils*
  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Purg mailutils [1:3.10-3+b1]
  Purg libmailutils7 [1:3.10-3+b1]
  Purg guile-2.2-libs [2.2.7+1-6]
  $ apt-get --purge autoremove