Emanuel Berg wrote:
> But install fans and see if you still get high temperatures if
> you didn't (?) ...

  i have a very tiny fan and heatsink that is right on
the processor.  the rest of the system is fanless (no
fan for the PSU - no fancy GPU needed for what i do).
i almost bought a bigger heatsink so that the entire
thing could run without the fan, but the small fan
provided with the CPU has been adequate and quiet enough
that i never have felt i had to buy the heatsink after
all.  i may do that in the future if this fan goes out.

  one of my main design goals with this machine was that
it be very quiet (compared to the previous machines i
had that sounded like jet engines taking off and making
way too much noise all the time).

  the only time the fan runs on this computer is a few
moments when i turn it on and it is booting up and once
in a while when i run a process that wants more CPU (very
rarely).  the rest of the time i don't hear the fan at
all.

  only with this change to the FTP software has it become
an annoyance that made me go look for a way to deal with
it.

  filing a bug against the FTP software is also something
i should do, but i've not gotten that far yet.  ;)

  songbird