Le 13 mai 2023 jeremy ardley a écrit :

> The exact reasons are in the mists of time, but it seems likely the powers
> didn't want users to routinely use programs better run by adminstrators.

As I learned it a long time ago, /bin /sbin are historically for system
commands, /usr/bin /usr/sbin for user ones. sbin stands for "static
binaries" for commands needed while libs are not available (boot,
recovery, etc). Potentially commands for root. Nowadays we have binaries
and libs on same device so bin sbin are less significant. And of course
since debian merge /usr there is no difference between system and user
commands :

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    7 17 sept.  2022 bin -> usr/bin
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    7 17 sept.  2022 lib -> usr/lib
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    9 17 sept.  2022 lib32 -> usr/lib32
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    9 17 sept.  2022 lib64 -> usr/lib64
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   10 17 sept.  2022 libx32 -> usr/libx32
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    8 17 sept.  2022 sbin -> usr/sbin