On 5/14/23 19:29, Charles Curley wrote:
I have an HP HP_LaserJet_MFP_M234sdw_C0FB67_USB_, one of those modern
"no driver" multifunction printers. It works fine on Bullseye. I have
the printer hooked up via USB to a server, hawk, and it prints just
fine.

I have a client, ideapc, which sees the printer and prints to it just
fine.

I also have an ancient i386 IBM R51 running Bookworm, dragon. On dragon,
using system-config-printer, I can see the printer automagically
discovered. I can open up the queue window for the printer, and request
a test page.

Alas, I see the test page in the queue briefly. The queue window says
"processing - not connected?", then "Printer error". Then the print job
disappears, leaving no error message. (This is a change in behavior from
Bullseye. I do not like it.)

The printer does come awake and report an error when I ask for the test
page. I don't see anything in the printer's logs.

Logging on both machines shows no errors. I am running firewalld on
dragon, and did enable logging for unicast. firewalld-cmd reports the
following, among other things:

    services: ipp ipp-client mdns samba-client smtp ssh

The below, is what I would try:

- On the non-working client, Are you restricting outbound traffic at all
or for testing  purposes can you disable the FW?

- How are the working clients connected to the printer (protocol wise)?
- Is the non-working client using that same protocol?
- If you do not use MDNS and point manually to the server, does it work
any better?

--
John Doe