On 5/15/23 14:32, Charles Curley wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2023 12:18:56 -0400
gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

this is interesting Brian, but how do I adapt it to my brother
printers? All I can get by substituting the queue name M234 is
"printer or class does not exist".

Right. M234 is the name assigned previously. You get the URI(s) of
available printer(s) by running the program driverless. E.g.:

root@dragon:~# driverless
ipps://HP%20LaserJet%20MFP%20M234sdw%20(C0FB67)._ipps._tcp.local/
root@dragon:~#

Then feed that into:

lpadmin -p M234 -v "URI" -E -m everywhere

But edit in a better (for you) name for the printer than M234.

You might get away with something like:

lpadmin -p heskett.printer -v "$(driverless)" -E -m everywhere

but I haven't experimented with that.

And the only printer that shows in the driverless output:
ipp://Brother%20MFC-J6920DW._ipp._tcp.local/
is I believe the only one of 3 references to that physical printer in cups, that does not work, it ignores the tray selection passed. That is an expen$ive lack.

Thanks Charles.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis