On 2023-06-12 at 17:47, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 13/6/23 04:52, The Wanderer wrote:

>> I have to apologize; I completely misremembered the name of the program
>> that I was referencing, probably because of the filenames I store its
>> output under. hwinfo is absolutely not it. I would not consider output
>> such as you presented to be appropriately readable for human
>> consumption.
>>
>> Rather, I got the records I'm looking at from the program 'lshw'.
>>
> Okay - so the equivalent output that describes the memory, from lshw, is
>
> "
>       *-memory
>            physical id: 2f
>            slot: System board or motherboard
>            size: 128GiB
>            capabilities: ecc
>            configuration: errordetection=multi-bit-ecc
>          *-bank:0
>               product: M393A2G40DB0-CPB
>               vendor: Samsung
>               physical id: 0
>               serial: 400F4723
>               slot: DIMM1
>               size: 16GiB
>               width: 64 bits
>               clock: 2133MHz (0.5ns)

<snip seven more banks>

> which may appear to be more "human" understandable, for expressing
> the capacity of each DIMM card in GiB, rather than in bytes,

Actually, that isn't what I found more readable about this. It's more
the separate indented blocks for each distinct item being described, and
the use of lowercase rather than ALL_CAPS field labels, that makes the
difference.

> but, I had no problem in finding and understanding the applicable
> output for describing the RAM component of the hardware.
>
> If being able to adequately interpret the output from hwinfo, makes
> me other than human, well, such is life.

Oh, certainly not. I can read the other myself, it's just that I
understand myself as doing so through the lens of "thinking like a
computer", similarly to the mindset I find myself in when reading source
code.

> Both utilities work, and, work sufficiently.
>
> hwinfo is simply less pretty than lshw.
>
> But, it nevertheless, works.

It certainly does.

--