On 20 Jun 2023 18:21, Charles Curley wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 16:52:47 +0200
Anders Andersson <pipat...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm running Gnome. Maybe synaptic is not compatible with xfce?

Nope. I have synaptic running here with xfce4 on Bullseye.

synaptic        0.90.2          amd64
xfce4   4.16            all

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I tried synaptic manually (on XFCE), I had to use pkexec and NOT sudo.
It doesn't start from a root xterm either.
This remark is for Gene, who only uses variations of "sudo".

  $ which synaptic-pkexec
  /usr/bin/synaptic-pkexec
  $ /usr/bin/synaptic-pkexec

"synaptic-pkexec" is what's needed if not using the distro-provided shortcut. Here, the shortcut in XFCE under "System -> Synaptic package manager" effectively launches "synaptic-pkexec".
synaptic-pkexec is a shell script containing:
  pkexec "/usr/sbin/synaptic" "$@"

Another note, if you use pkexec directly, this won't work :
  $ pkexec synaptic
Cannot run program synaptic: No such file or directory

But this is OK
  $ pkexec /usr/sbin/synaptic