On 21/06/2023 01:41, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
X clients these days need that to talk to the X server. On my box,
for example:

     tomas@trotzki:~$ hexdump -C .Xauthority
     00000000  01 00 00 07 74 72 6f 74  7a 6b 69 00 01 30 00 12
|....trotzki..0..|
     00000010  4d 49 54 2d 4d 41 47 49  43 2d 43 4f 4f 4b 49
45|MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE|

The ~/.Xauthority file contains *secrets*, see Xsecurity(7), so I would not encourage people to post its content. It should be enough to check that

    file ~/.Xauthority

reports "X11 Xauthority data" or to try "xauth info". Almost certainly

    xhost

output contains "SI:localuser:gene", so most of applications are working without any issues. I would not be surprised if Gene has an immutable file owned by root or something similar left from attempt to fix some problem several years ago.

Gene, try

    stat ~/.Xauthority
    getfacl ~/.Xauthority
    lsattr ~/.Xauthority