On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 20:43:46 +0000
Andy Smith <a...@strugglers.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 05:52:20PM +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 10:18:18AM -0400, David Peacock wrote:
> > > I'm seeing a shocking and disappointing amount of disrespect and
> > > vulgarity of late from several parties.  If there is no active
> > > moderation possible, it would be nice to see us moderate
> > > ourselves into civility, lest this list degenerate into something
> > > that embarrasses the entire Debian project.
> >
> > Since "shocking", "disrespect" and "vulgarity" are pretty subjective
> > measures (they are still very legitimate, though), it would be nice
> > and constructive if you gave people the chance to understand what
> > you are taking issue with.
>
> I don't think that will actually be productive but if anyone is
> going to do that I would strongly suggest they do so off-list with
> the authors of the posts they take issue with. I think that calling
> people out on-list is likely to devolve into a huge flame war.
>
> The reason why I don't think it will be productive is that posters
> tend to feel they are justified in what they post, and people
> who disagree with them are "just an opinion, man". What may go over
> better is a gentle off-list comment by someone with actual authority
> within Debian. A problem with that being that there isn't really any
> authority to moderate on this mailing list by anyone, except for in
> the most extreme of circumstances.
>
> Then again, I have had a DD take me to task off-list recently
> telling me that me opening an email with "Hi," was passive
> aggressive and that the rest of the content of my email was not
> worth sending. Yet from my perspective the original poster and I had
> had a reasonably productive thread on-list, so, you know, not all
> persons of authority are cut out for this kind of thing either!

I have to agree here. If someone starts psychoanalyzing me by way of
correction, I'm switching off. "Passive-aggressive" is pure
psychobabble.

> I think Debian's community team do a pretty good job when they do
> actually get involved, I just wish they could get involved more.

For what it's worth, in the 90s I co-founded my local Linux Users
Group. For about a decade, I was treasurer, president, list admin and
moderator. I rarely had to ban someone from the list. I had similar
list rules to Debian, and occasionally I stepped in to warn miscreants.
But mostly, list members curtailed bad behavior. I believe they did
this because this was *their* group and *their* list. And because they
didn't want to see an otherwise reasonable contributor banned for
having a bad day, or being easily antagonized by another idiot.

The difference is that in my group, there were a total of 400, and many
of them knew each other from meetings. I'm guessing DU has quite a
few more. The more people, the harder it is to have a cohesive group.
And there's no one here to ban them when they get out of hand (or is
there?).

Just my two cents worth.

Paul

--