Emanuel Berg <in...@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>
>> Smart fan control is enabled in the CMOS
>
> Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor, AKA sea-moss?
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMOS
>
> The CMOS BIOS:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonvolatile_BIOS_memory

I meant CMOS settings.

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Motherboard_CMOS_Configuration_and_Setup

>> for both CPU and System. Is there something I can use which
>> will automatically configure fan speed?
>
> I'm not aware of a way to do this from software, but you can
> do this with the UEFI (modern-day BIOS) for PWM and DC fans.
> But you knew that ...

Well no I didn't know that. I don't have a modern day UEFI. But I
concluded that there is some control of the fan from the fact that
Windows 10 does it, and that the fan speed is lower in the winter even
with Debian. But I suppose that could be the BIOS.

> A bunch of monitoring functions mostly based on sensors(1)
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/temp
>
> "My name is Bugs, as in bunny - and tech that listens."

Thanks.