On 6/26/23 19:56, Bret Busby wrote:
On 27/6/23 07:15, songbird wrote:
to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
Yikes. Those gnomies do love complexity. I know why our ways parted
long ago.

   yes, among the many other assumptions.  i'm afraid though
that some of these things creep into MATE in time.  :(

You might try disabling gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor.service and see
what changes (possibly you can't access the camera at all, but who
knows).

   disabling or masking.  i do that along with a few other
things that i don't use or care about.

In any case put pebbles along the way so you can find your way back.

Perhaps someone with more clue chimes in.

Me? I just tell the camera to present a file system, mount it (yes,
manually) on /mnt and do a rsync. It's so much easier than all this
ritual dances that it's not even funny.

   yes.  someone else downthread says to remove the gphoto2
package but that is useful, i just don't want it automatically
engaged until i specifically ask for it.

   songbird

I simply use shotwell. It works for me, without any problems.

I ran if from the menu, took it about 10 minutes to import my Pictures tree and missed several subdirs contents. When I quit it, all traces of the nearly 4000 pictures it claimed to have imported during the scan simply disappeared, Probably still taking up disk space SOMEWHERE but no clue where it might be. This isn't windows, why the secrecy?

Looking at its menu's, I didn't find anything that indicated it could access the turned on camera, if shotwell can, where is it in the menu's?

What the gnomes did, when they said "Up Yours!" to users, and imposed gnome3, caused me to switch to mate, which I have been (mostly) happily using, since I discovered mate. The only significant problem, is that I have to slightly modify mate, by using a deprecated and difficult to find, theme, of which, I store a copy on my Ventoy drive, so that I can install the theme as needed.

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia