On Thu 29 Jun 2023, at 16:50, Stephen P. Molnar <s.mol...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> OK, Here we go.
>
> First of all, I don't have a cat, so let's forego any further cattiness.
>
> I built the system on 6/26/2015 and have kept up on maintenance
>
> ASUS M5 A97 R2.0 Motherboard BIOS 2603
>
> AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core Processor 3500MHz
>
> 8179 MB (DDR 1600MHz)
>
> The display is a 23 in LG flat screen (3 years old).
>
> All the cables are firmly attached.

My previous message suggested

xrandr -q

but this

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/651209/how-change-monitors-from-terminal-xrandr-cant-open-display

suggests xrandr expects to run from within a running X session.

If no other displays are available to test the system (or systems available to
test the display) do you get the same behaviour from a live cd/usb if you have
or can make one?

I was going to ask about logs but Felix has already done so.

Best wishes,
Gareth