On Thu 29 Jun 2023, at 22:00, Gareth Evans <donots...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
[...]
> If [using a DM], either X or Wayland is running at the
> point of "login screen", isn't it?  At some "standard" (high-ish,
> working) resolution?
>
> "[...] systemd [...] starts all the important system processes
> and then starts X11 [...]
> which in turn starts a login manager [eg.] LightDM [...]
> The login manager starts a session manager [...]
> which starts a window manager and usually a menu bar, a desktop [...]"
>
> https://dev.to/jfhbrook/what-s-a-desktop-session-manager-and-why-do-i-want-one-agl

LightDM (for example) combines some of this "under one
roof/umbrella/[process?]":

"LightDM is a lightweight, cross-desktop display manager. A display manager is
a daemon that:

Runs display servers (e.g. X) where necessary.
Runs greeters to allow users to pick which user account and session type to use.
Allows greeters to perform authentication using PAM.
Runs session processes once authentication is complete ..."

but I don't think my point re indication of config issues is affected, is it?

Thanks