On 8/22/23 05:00, Russell L. Harris wrote:
After much searching and reading, I have not discovered how to set up
a pair of git repositories to work together.

This makes no sense, that is what Git is for! :)

In the past, I have found git to be a very good solution.  But now I
am moving to a new computer, and I an having difficulty replicating
the previous setup.

Rethinking your set up, might not be a bad idea!

My needs are simple.  I need two git repositories.

Basically, Git uses non-bare/mirror repository (you work in this one)
and an upstream repo which will be 'bare'.

The first is my work space, into which periodically I commit the
article on which I am working.

I'm OK so far!

The second repository is my backup; it resides on another machine.
Several times a day, I SSH into the backup machine and pull the
working repository.

To me you only update upstream by pushes and never by pulling!

So my suggestion in your case would be:
- One repo to work in and to push to upstream
- One upstream bare repo

If you want a working  repo on the same box as the bare repo is located,
use  the file protocol to pull using a cron job for automation!

HTH.

--
John Doe