On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 23:59:11 +0200
Michel Verdier <mv...@free.fr> wrote:

> According to your link and what I do myself I think you need to have a
> daemon running. And emacsclient -a="" launches it if it's missing.

You need an emacs process running in order to use emacsclient. It need
not be a daemon. -a="" will launch a daemon process if there isn't a
process already running, daemon or otherwise.

I think the main distinction between daemon and non-daemon is that in
daemon mode emacs may be running as a background task waiting for
connections over a socket, and with nothing on the display. Non-daemon
mode always has something on the display, even if minimized.

So, basically, yes. The technical writer's demand for precise language
came out.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com