On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 13:37 Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 13:27 Klaus Singvogel <deb-user...@singvogel.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Michael Kjörling wrote:
>> > On 20 Sep 2023 12:26 -0500, from tom.brow...@gmail.com (Tom Browder):
>> >
>> > openprinting.org doesn't seem to have heard of it, unfortunately:
>> >
>> > https://openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/HP
>>
>> Unfortunately you made only the first step and not all.
>>
>> Looking at
>>         https://openprinting.org/driver/hplip/
>>
>> will lead you via "Supported Devices"-link to
>>
>> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index
>>
>> At HP's website you'll search and find the information that it is Full
>> supported.
>>
>>         HP LaserJet 400 MFP m425dn
>>                 Min HPLIP Version: 3.12.6
>>                 Chrome OS Support: Yes
>>                 Driver Plug-in: Yes
>>                 Supported Level: Full
>>                 Print Model: Mono
>>                 Scan PC: Yes
>>
>> So, install the required hplip packages for Debian (OpenSource) and see
>> that it is supported.
>

> Thank you, Klaus! I was disappointed I didn't find it because I remember
> having to modify some CUPS driver or interface many years ago when I first
> got the printer. And that was to print. I'm not sure I ever got reliable
> scanning on Linux.
>
> I'll report back soon.

I got stuck with incompatible package requirements for network use, so I
filed a bug report. Their support is active (last release was this year),
so I'm hoping for a fix.

In the meantime, I do have the two alternatives: (1) scan to USB drive or
(2) use my Windows box. Since I'm unhooking my KVM switch setup to make my
wife happy (she's a neat freak and I'm not), I'll have to manually unplug
KVM cables  from the Debian box to hook up them up to the Windows box, so
laziness and the desire for weening from Windows will probably dictate
option 1.

-Tom