On Sun, Oct 22, 2023 at 08:36:53PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> What really bugs me is when the maintainers forget there are hosts file
> users, and do something that totally screws us up,

Gene, you're being irrational again.  "Hosts file only" systems have been
supported since before Debian existed, without surcease.  There has never
been a time when they weren't supported.  There never will be.

Any issues you've encountered have been the result of misconfiguration.
You have repeatedly shown errors in your config files, and once those
have been corrected, everything has worked as expected.