On 14.11.2023 04:08, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 03:57:28PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
My FIT-PCs that provide network services are getting old, and i386
Linux is slowly fading away. So I would like to replace them with a
router/gateway computer.

It should run Debian.

It should either have two gigabit (or better) Ethernet interfaces or
have suitable expansion capability.

It should be quiet: no fans, and low power requirements. A small
physical footprint would be nice.

Most of the time it will run headless, but occasionally I will need to
stick a monitor and keyboard on it. VGA will do fine.

It will be a router. It will have at least DNS, DHCP, apt-cacher-ng and
firewalld on it. Modest disk and RAM will be fine.

WiFi is handled elsewhere for now, but I won't turn it down.

SSD for storage would be nice, although the FIT-PCs do fine with IDE
spinning rust.

I am in the process of solving almost the exact same problem. At the
moment, this is my leading candidate:
https://www.newegg.com/neosmay-kc12-alder-lake/p/2SW-006Y-00074
This looks too good to be true and raises many red flags.
According to Intel specs [1] for this processor it's 28W of heat to dissipate and that is Base Power only, Turbo Boost is whooping 64W(!). IMO it is impossible to do with fan-less design at this small size, so there will be at least small fan running at full speed at all time and there has to be quite beefy heatsink also. There are no photos of this device disassembled and fake 3D rendered pictures doesn't count. A quick search of "NEOSMAY MINI PC Disassembly" on YT gave no results, only fake reviews and useless unboxing videos. I've seen 17" laptops with much larger heatsink solutions (multiple heatpipes and fans), struggle with effective heat dissipation.

[1] https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/226254/intel-core-i71260p-processor-18m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz/specifications.html
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀