On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 08:59:02AM +0000, Tom Furie wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness <zen...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Attempting a fresh Debian stable install with
> > debian-12.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso (latest default amd64 boot image), `cp
> > deiban-...iso /dev/sdX; sync`, and rebooted to the usb stick with the
>
> You can't just copy the iso to the stick and get it to boot.

Actually... if you copy to the whole device (not to a partition), as
OP seems to have done, it should work. The only advantage of dd over
cp is that you have more control over the buffer cache (oflag=sync).

>   This stick
> must have already had an image written to it, the leftovers of which is
> getting as far as GRUB.

...no: all blocks of the block device get overwritten, including the
boot loader.

> I noticed you posted a follow-up saying you're on Ubuntu - in which case
> you should be able to use dd to write the image to the stick.

Cp should be the same than dd; with dd you can control block size (with
sticks, my experience is that bs=1M is much faster than the default of
512), turn off buffer cache (oflag=sync), so no more waiting for a sync
to come back without knowing how long it's going to take) and a progress
indicator (status=progress), which is nice.

The result should be the same (if you wait for sync to finish its job,
that is).

Cheers