On Monday, November 20, 2023, <to...@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 08:59:02AM +0000, Tom Furie wrote:
>> Zenaan Harkness <zen...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Attempting a fresh Debian stable install with
>> > debian-12.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso (latest default amd64 boot image), `cp
>> > deiban-...iso /dev/sdX; sync`, and rebooted to the usb stick with the
>>
>> You can't just copy the iso to the stick and get it to boot.
>
> Actually... if you copy to the whole device (not to a partition), as

Thank you both. I tried dd first, then cp, then ubuntu-disk-creator (?) --
then I tried a different usb stick.

Used that old stick many times and never had a problem before now...

Thanks heaps, I'm on track again now.

(Last night ubuntu snapd would not start, so ffox, chrome, blender, nothing
worked. apt update, snap refresh, reboot. Had to wait till the bug got
fixed in the repos today! That was the straw that broke this camel's
back... returning to debian)