On 11/20/23, Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 12:48:24PM +0100, Erwan David wrote:
>> What happens when a timer should have been triggered at a time the
>> computer
>> was sleeping ?
>
> systemd.timer(5):
>
>        OnCalendar=
>            [...]
>            When a system is temporarily put to sleep (i.e. system suspend
> or
>            hibernation) the realtime clock does not pause. When a calendar
>            timer elapses while the system is sleeping it will not be acted
> on
>            immediately, but once the system is later resumed it will catch
> up
>            and process all timers that triggered while the system was
>            sleeping. Note that if a calendar timer elapsed more than once
>            while the system was continously sleeping the timer will only
>            result in a single service activation.

Speaking as a user who has been "bitten" by this many times, finding a
way to have alarms wake the laptop back up is on my own to-do list. It
just seems like that I played with that type of feature a very long
time ago.

In my usage case, the affected program is alarm-clock-applet. My
experience is that any and all alarms will start going off audibly as
soon as the laptop's lid is lifted post [hibernation]. Since this has
only ever involved bidding on auctions (aka spending money), finding a
work-around has never had high priority on that to-do list, lol.

As an afterthought, it came to mind that one of the video players at
least used to let users toggle an option to keep a laptop from going
to sleep until after a video, e.g. a long movie, stopped playing. That
inspired an "apt-cache search wake from" search for some reason.

That highly generic query only received 10 results for Trixie. Maybe
there's still something in there that's useful. Two of those results,
etherwake and nvram-wakeup, look interesting. Since they already exist
as packages, they must be being used somewhere... which might help
short track figuring out how to apply them to one's own computing
needs.

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *